We all look forward to the freezing weather changing into warm days so we can open our windows and spend more time outdoors. One thing we do not look forward to during this change is the pests that comes along with it. Mosquito bites suck (literally!). They can leave us with itchy welts that remind us of the annoying mosquito every time you reach down to scratch your bite. If you want to relieve your urge to reopen your mosquito bite, here are some remedies to help soothe them.
- Cold Compress — Putting ice or a cold compress on your mosquito bite can help relieve the urge to scratch at your bite. The cold will help reduce inflammation of the bite and numbs the skin. This gives you some short-term relief from the mosquito bite.
- Antihistamines and Calamine Lotion — Topical antihistamines such as calamine lotion help reduce inflammation and itching right at the spot of irritation. You can also take over-the-counter antihistamines such as Benadryl or Claritin. These oral antihistamines will help in the same way as the topical but will take longer to feel the relief since it is not applied straight onto the source.
- Aloe Vera — This plant is known for healing minor wounds and calming infections. With its anti-inflammatory properties, Aloe Vera works well to reduce the swelling around the bite and soothe the irritation.
- Honey — Honey contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can bring relief to your mosquito bite. Not only does it help reduce your bite’s inflammation, but it will also prevent you from itching the spot due to the stickiness of the honey. You will want to avoid touching the honey and creating a mess.
How to Prevent Mosquito Bites
You may not want to wait to be bitten to remedy your mosquito bites. Take steps to prevent mosquito bites before they happen! Instead of waiting for the mosquito bite to occur, be proactive by setting up mosquito traps around your home.
- Indoor traps — Protect the inside of your home by setting up the Flylight Insect Trap. The traps attract insects with their AtraktaGlow™ UV technology and trap them with the StickyTech™ glue boards to prevent insects from flying around your living space.
- Outdoor traps — Enjoy your outdoor space by protecting it with traps like the DynaTrap Full Acre Insect Trap. This trap attracts, traps, and kills a variety of flying insects, including mosquitoes!
Mosquito Trap Maintenance
If you already have traps set up around your home, make sure that they are working properly and are prepared to take on mosquito season.
- Check your bulbs — Though you may already be bringing out your DynaTrap products in preparation for mosquito season, make sure that your bulbs are fully functional. Take the time to check if you need to replace your bulbs. For help with replacing bulbs, check out our YouTube How-To videos.
- Replace your glue cards — Make sure you have fresh glue cards for your indoor traps. For best results, StickyTech™ Glue Cards should be replaced every 21-30 days.
- Clean your traps — Regular cleaning is important for keeping any device properly performing. For instructions on how to clean your trap, check out our
We’re happy to help. Don’t hesitate to reach out on our Facebook page with any questions, insect stories or you can simply join our community! Don’t forget to sign up for our e-newsletter to stay updated on new products as well as exclusive sales and coupons.